The A244 through Oxshott will be closed for approximately two weeks from 25 July 2022. This is to carry out the foul sewer works approved by Surrey County Council that we recently reported to supporters. Further details including diversion arrangements are given below.
The works are required to connect the large development at the Merrileas site to the main sewer. This will require a 6 metre deep excavation and installation of a new man-hole cover next to the site in the centre of the carriageway, which will therefore become impassable for vehicles. There will however be access past the works for pedestrians and dismounted cyclists. The works will extend for only 20 metres along the carriageway and shouldn’t block access to any individual properties.
Extensive diversions and will be in operation and should be signposted. In summary, we understand based on information provided by the contractors that:
- Northbound traffic from Leatherhead/M25 will be diverted down Oaklawn Road, Oxshott residents will need to enter the village via Stoke D’Abernon and Blundell/Steels Lane.
- Through traffic travelling up Fairoak Lane will be required to turn right across the railway bridge
- Southbound through traffic from the A3 will be diverted down Sandy Lane
- Separate routes will apply to HGVs which will be diverted via Cobham, Portsmouth Road and the centre of Esher.
- Access only for residents will be permitted to the centre of the village from Copsem Lane and Fairoak Lane. Signs will confirm businesses remain open.
The works are scheduled to take approximately two weeks and be completed by Sunday 7 August but this is of course only an estimate.
Refuse collection, public transport and emergency services have all been informed so schedules and routes can be amended accordingly.